Friday, August 1, 2008

(Royal) Wie Can Do It

Michelle Wie had five bogeys and four birdies in a +1 round at the Legends Reno-Tahoe Open. It's a solid score. She's eight out of the lead of Jeff Overton. Right now, though, an even par round would not land Wie in the weekend. The projected cut is even par. I'm guessing that it'll get to -1 by the time the day ends. Wie will have to go under par today to make the cut. Still, this is already way better than her last several efforts at men's events.

When it was announced that Wie would be playing in the event, I was against it. I still am, even if she makes the cut. I get the arguments in favor of it, or even neutral about it. But, learning to win matters. Wie will not learn how to win by barely making or missing a cut. I maintain that the people surrounding and advising her are not looking out for her best interests - particularly after her comment about handling money earlier in the week.

But, I will root for her today.

No comments: