Friday, August 15, 2008

Monty Hopeful to Make Ryder Cup Team, Admits Ignoring Reality

This report speaks for itself.

Colin Montgomerie is still hoping for a wild-card selection to this year's Ryder Cup, even though he's skipping two tournaments this month and can no longer earn an automatic berth on the European team.

"My desire to play in the Ryder Cup is greater than ever -- as I have shown in the past and in my schedule which has been geared toward qualifying," Montgomerie said Friday on his Web site.

However, after a dismal performance at the PGA Championship, he decided to opt out of this week's SAS Masters in Stockholm and a tournament in the Netherlands next week. That puts automatic qualifying out of reach, and Montgomerie must now hope European captain Nick Faldo selects him as a wild card for what would be his ninth Ryder Cup.

That doesn't seem very consistent. He is so committed to making the team that he's going to let a second round 84 at the PGA Championship deter him from playing tournament golf for two consecutive weeks. Now that's the kind of guy I want on my team!

Montgomerie said he would use these two weeks to "put in some serious practice time" ahead of the Johnnie Walker Championship that starts Aug. 28 at Gleneagles in Scotland -- his last chance to impress Faldo.

"I want now to work on my game to compete as well as I can in Scotland at the Johnnie Walker Championship and to have my game to a standard that would allow me, hopefully, to perform at a level to help the team (if I am part of it)," he wrote on his Web site.

Monty, you have no shot. I'd put on the kilt and relive your honeymoon.

1 comment:

Weight Loss Warrior said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.