Monday, August 18, 2008

Funk Wins Tradition, Gives Ryan Excuse to Cheer for Maryland

As you know, I'm from Maryland. I went to the University of Maryland for both my undergrad and graduate degrees. This week has been an excellent week for anyone from here. After all, by the transitive property, I know an Olympic champion. (Michael Phelps. Apparently, a great swimmer.)

Anyway, I have another reason to be proud of my Maryland connection this week. After the US Senior Open got away from Fred Funk, he came back this week and won the 4th Champ Tour major of the year called the Jeld-Wen Tradition. He won by three shots over Mike Goodes at Crosswater Club in Oregon.

Sure, it's a phony major. But, it's a major.

Here's the cooler reason to root for Funk.

After splitting his time between the PGA and Champions tours the past three years, Funk plans to play the PGA TOUR full-time next year. He won Sunday despite neck, back and knee problems that led him to visit a chiropractor.
That's pretty darn awesome. Go Funk!

1 comment:

Bill-DC said...

Fear the Turtle, Fear the Funk!

Have you seen his workout routine? It's sick! One of the golf pubs did a pictorial a couple years ago and it was unreal what he does.

I predict a win on the PGA Tour for Fred next year.

Go Terps!