Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Right Again! Chambers Bay Edition

Ron Sirak proved my column from Monday correct - yet again - in his write up concerning the USGA's selection of Chambers Bay for the 2015 US Open.

When Whistling Straits opened to raves in 1998, the PGA of America acted quickly and in January 2000 awarded the Wisconsin course the 2004 PGA Championship, essentially planting its flag on the property. Whistling Straits performed so well it was given the PGA in 2010 and 2015 as well as the 2020 Ryder Cup. The USGA made certain it did not miss out on Chambers Bay.

"I think that is a fair representation," USGA president James F. Vernon said when asked if Whistling Straits provided a lesson. "We thought we had found something special [in Chambers Bay], and we wanted to, not stake a claim, but we really did want to make it clear that we wanted to have an opportunity to have a championship on it."
What I said is in the post below, but I basically said that the move was an attempt to get in on this like the PGA of America did with Whistling Straits. I like Jim Vernon even more for proving my point.

No comments: