Sunday, January 27, 2008

Golf Channel Site Redesign

PGATour.com went ahead and redid their site, and now the Golf Channel has done the same for their site. It appears more streamlined and less cluttered.

The Drive - their bulky Flash based video player - seems to have gone by the wayside. In lieu of it, videos are now displayed in their own webpage and the Flash player is embedded. It's a better look, but so far, I find that getting the videos I want is tougher. Also, I've never been a fan of playing videos immediately upon load and this site does that. Perhaps that will change, though.

Like what has happened at ESPN, they have a blog style commenting section for every story and video. You can rate stories and videos, declare them favorites, etc.

The site is now sectioned to organize by pro golf, your game, equipment, and travel. It is a smarter feel to the site. And it will drive more hits because it does take an extra click or two to get to some things.

The use of Flash isn't crazy, and that is something I have always liked about TGC's site. I'm sure there is more to come, but I think they've made strides here.

No comments: